Wednesday, January 14, 2015

2015 Book to Film Challenge


Do you like to read the book before the film comes out? I know I do! Year after year we a huge number of adaptations hitting the big screen and there are so many to enjoy it's hard to keep track of them all. This year, I've picked 12 titles with adaptations in the works, and will be reading one a month throughout the year and will share my thoughts on it over at my YouTube channel. See me talk about these 12 selections here. I've picked titles from a variety of genres and time periods and have included both fiction and non-fiction.

I enjoy diving into books without knowing too mcuh about them, but I have included just a smidge of information about the titles that may not be as widely known. For each title I've noted the anticipated release date for the film adaptation. The majority of the titles are scheduled for this year or next year, with a few yet to be determined. Release dates are always subject to change, but my reading schedule is firmly set.

Feel free to play along, or set your own Book to Film Challenge for the year!

2015 Book to Film Challenge


January 2015: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Book is available via Public Domain *
Anticipated film release date: 2015, specific date TBC

February 2015: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick
Non-fiction book on the historical events that inspired the book Moby Dick
Anticipated film release date: December 11, 2015 (REVISED)

March 2015: Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
Book is available via Public Domain *
Anticipated film release date: May 1, 2015

April 2015: The Martian by Andy Weir
Science Fiction/Survivalist
Anticipated film release date: November 25, 2015

May 2015: Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín
Irish drama set in the 1950's
Anticipated film release date: 2015, specific date TBC

June 2015: The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Book is available via Public Domain *
Anticipated film release date: April 15, 2016 (REVISED)

July 2015: The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith
Lesbian cult classic/pulp novel
Anticipated film release date: 2015, specific date TBC

August 2015: Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang
Science fiction novella available within the anthology "Stories of Your Life and Others"
Anticipated film release date: 2016

September 2015: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Film name is Victor Frankenstein
Book is available via Public Domain *
Anticipated film release date: October 2, 2015

October 2015: Your Voice in My Head by Emma Forrest
Non-fiction memoir
Anticipated film release date: Currently in development

November 2015: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Young adult fantasy novel about annual water horse races
Film is currently in development, release date TBC

December 2015: The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson
Story is available via Public Domain * in the book "Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Anderson"
Film is currently in pre-production, release date TBC

* Toronto Public Library Public Domain Database (no account/login required)

Love Books? Feel free to friend me on GoodReads.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey, Shannon. I'm ready to join in. Most of the titles are different from my usual reading fare, so I'm looking forward to it. Happy reading!

Janet Miles said...

HI! Love this idea. I am doing the 2015 Reading Challenge but it's not all books to films. I may try to incorporate this one in with that one! Great idea. I'll be following you on Goodreads!

Shannon said...

I'm so glad you both are participating! 2 books in and they've both been different from what I've expected. Here are to more (happy!) surprizes :)