Saturday, April 23, 2016

Shakespeare Project



Hello to all the Shakespeare lovers out there!

I want to share my journey through Shakespeare. The project I am taking on is to read all the plays, and then watch an adaptation of each play. You know I love adaptations! This is a project I tried years ago, but only made it a few plays in before fizzling out. I started this second attempt last year, and again got a few plays in and then it got a bit distracted, but with the huge anniversary this weekend of it being the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare death I've become inspired to re-dedicate myself to the project.

This current trek through Shakespeare has already been so insightful, that I really wanted to share it here. The stories and characters of the plays are so intriguing, and there are so many ways to enjoy the works. I think it is formidable here we are, 400 years later, still finding ways to engage, honour and express the works. I am so excited to dive back into the project.

My loose plan is to read one play a month, and do my best to find an adaptation to watch. I am not going to firmly commit to a reading order, but I think I will bounce between the comedies, tragedies and histories to vary the rhythm and weight of the works.

I will keep a running total of the works read and watched, and as it stands of publishing this post I've read and watched adaptations of The Two Gentlemen of Verona, Titus Andronicus and Richard II. I have also read both Macbeth, and Romeo and Juliet but still have to watch adaptations. The next play I'll be reading is Henry IV Part I, and then watch The Hollow Crown adaptations.

Read: 6/38
Watched: 4/38


The Comedies

All's Well That Ends Well
As You Like It
Comedy of Errors, The
Love's Labour's Lost
Measure for Measure
Merchant of Venice, The
Merry Wives of Windsor, The
Midsummer Night's Dream, A
Much Ado About Nothing
Pericles, Prince of Tyre
Taming of the Shrew, The
Tempest, The
Twelfth Night
Two Gentlemen of Verona, The (read and watched)
Two Noble Kinsmen, The
Winter's Tale, The

The Tragedies

Antony and Cleopatra
Coriolanus
Cymbeline
Hamlet
Julius Caesar
King Lear
Macbeth (read)
Othello
Romeo and Juliet (read)
Timon of Athens
Titus Andronicus (read and watched)
Troilus and Cressida

The Histories

~~1st Tetrology~~
Henry VI, Part 1
Henry VI, Part 2
Henry VI, Part 3
Richard III
~~2nd Tetrology~~
Richard II (read and watched)
Henry IV, Part 1 (read and watched)
Henry IV, Part 2
Henry V
~~
Henry VIII - alt title: All is True
King John

I hope to share my thoughts on the experience here and on my YouTube channel, and will also track my progress over at GoodReads.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Shakespeare, what plays you enjoy the most and any adaptations you'd recommend. Feel free to create your own Shakespeare challenge!


1 comment:

peppylady (Dora) said...

My son lives by one of the biggest Shakespeare festival. Maybe with some luck he could get me ticket to it.
Coffee is on